Putting money into community projects means getting involved in positive local schemes – and getting a return on your cash too.
But it’s about more than just income – it’s also a way to help our community tackle global issues.
make money and make a difference
Research shows that 42% of British adults with investments want to “make money and make a difference”, with over one in three wanting at least a quarter of their investments to include green and ethical considerations.
Financial benefits to investing in Egni:
- A projected investment return of 4%
- A 50% tax rebate on your investment (we have had SEIS pre-approval from HMRC – see SEISletter). This makes the annual rate of return worth 10%.
- Egni shares are exempt from Inheritance Tax.
Locally-owned renewable energy brings many benefits to communities:
- Local ownership results in more renewables
In countries with a legal and financial environment that enables local renewable developments, local investment has played a major role. In Denmark, for example, 86% of all wind turbines are owned by local investors.
- Local ownership creates local dialogue and acceptance
Through dialogue with different interest groups, energy co-ops generate a widespread understanding for and social acceptance of renewables.
- Local ownership raises public awareness
The local development of renewables allows people to engage with the technology. Electricity becomes something that does not simply appear from the socket.
- Community investment promotes cheaper and better technologies
Co-ops often pay more attention to detail for projects since, for utilities and big companies, renewables are only a small part of their business.
- Local renewables are democratic
With local investment in power production, local people take decisions on planning and implementation of the power supply. This brings more responsibility to the local level.
- Local production makes sustainable development understandable
Egni Coop is a local and clear example of how people can contribute to a sustainable development. Our panels illustrate our use of resources and enable us to see the consequences of their use.
- Local ownership gives people opportunity to act for sustainable development.
Egni is engaging people in practical and sustainable action.